Hello everybody, welcome to my recipe site, If you’re looking for new recipes to try this weekend, look no further! We provide you only the best Navy Bean & Bacon Soup recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Navy Bean & Bacon Soup recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Use Food to Boost Your Mood.
Mostly, people have been conditioned to believe that “comfort” foods are bad for the body and need to be avoided. At times, if your comfort food is basically candy or other junk foods, this is true. At times, comfort foods can be perfectly nourishing and good for us to consume. There are a number of foods that really can raise your moods when you consume them. If you are feeling a little bit down and in need of an emotional pick me up, try a number of these.
Green tea is excellent for moods. You were sure green tea had to be mentioned, right? Green tea has a lot of an amino acid called L-theanine. Research has proven that this amino acid promotes the production of brain waves. This helps better your mental focus while calming the rest of your body. You were already aware that that green tea helps you be a lot healthier. Now you are aware that it can help you be happier as well!
So you see, you don’t need junk food or foods that are bad for you so you can feel better! Try several of these instead!
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to navy bean & bacon soup recipe. You can have navy bean & bacon soup using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you do that.
The ingredients needed to cook Navy Bean & Bacon Soup:
- Get 1 lb of dried navy beans.
- Provide 12 oz of thick cut bacon – slices cut across to 1/2" strips.
- Use 1 of medium yellow onion – diced.
- Take 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of dried parsley.
- Get 6 cups of water.
- Use 1 cup of diced carrots.
- Use to taste of salt and pepper.
Instructions to make Navy Bean & Bacon Soup:
- Sort beans to remove any broken/bad beans or other abnormalities. Such as what is pictured here..
- Soak beans using one of the 2 following methods. Overnight: Place beans in a large bowl with 6-8 cups cold water and allow to soak at least 12 hrs. OR Quick Soak (which I prefer): Place beans in large pot (about 6 quart size). Add 6-8 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat, cover, let sit 1-2 hrs. Drain and rinse beans in a large colander. Set aside. Do not save soak water..
- If you quick soaked just rinse the pot you used. Place pot on stove over medium-high heat. When hot add all of bacon. Cook until browned and crisp, stirring occasionally..
- Add onion, garlic powder, and parsley (do not remove bacon or drain fat). Cook 2 minutes more stirring constantly. Return beans to pot. Add 6 cups cold water. Stir to combine. Do NOT add any salt or pepper yet..
- Bring to a boil for about 2 minutes. Cover with lid slightly offset to vent. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hrs, adding carrots in last 30 minutes. Check and stir occasionally..
- When beans are tender use a slotted spoon to transfer about 1/2 cup to a medium bowl. Mash beans with fork and stir back into soup. Add salt and pepper to taste at this time (I went with a heaping tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp pepper). Serve with cornbread if desired. Enjoy!.
- See notes below ⤵.
- For those who do not know, the primary reason for not salting beans as they cook is because the added salt has the tendency to prevent the beans from becoming tender. I'm personally not sure of the exact reason, but I do know from personal experience that this is accurate so I always salt beans after they are tender..
If you find this Navy Bean & Bacon Soup recipe valuable please share it to your close friends or family, thank you and good luck.