Hey everyone, welcome to my recipe page, if you’re looking for Pantry Day Red Beans & Rice recipe, look no further! We provide you only the best Pantry Day Red Beans & Rice recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Pantry Day Red Beans & Rice recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Can Be An Easy Choice.
Healthy eating is now a good deal more popular than in the past and rightfully so. Poor diet is a contributing factor in health problems such as heart disease and high blood pressure which can place a drain on the economy. While we’re constantly being counseled to follow healthy eating habits, it is also easier than ever to rely on fast food and other convenience items that are not beneficial for us. In all probability, a lot of people assume that it takes a lot of work to eat healthily and that they will need to drastically change their way of life. In reality, however, just making a few small changes can positively impact everyday eating habits.
One initial thing you can do is to pay close attention to the choices you make when you’re shopping for food because you probably pick out a lot of items out of habit. As an example, most probably you have never checked the box of your favorite cereal to find out its sugar content. One wholesome alternative that can give you a great start to your day is oatmeal. If this is not to your liking on its own, try mixing in fresh fruits that can provide other healthy nutrients and as such, one simple change to your diet has been achieved.
All in all, it is not difficult to begin making healthy eating a part of your daily lifestyle.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to pantry day red beans & rice recipe. To make pantry day red beans & rice you need 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you do that.
The ingredients needed to prepare Pantry Day Red Beans & Rice:
- Take 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Take 1 small of yellow onion – chopped.
- Provide 2 small of celery ribs – sliced 1/4" thick.
- Use 1/2 medium of green bell pepper – chopped.
- You need 1/2 tsp of sea salt.
- Take 1/4 tsp of black pepper (up to 1/2 tsp if you want a more pronounced peppery heat).
- Get 10 oz of smoked andouille sausage – sliced 1/4" thick.
- Use 1 tbsp of dried parsley.
- Take 1 tsp of Creole or Cajun seasoning (such as Tony Cachere's Original Creole).
- Take 3/4 tsp of dried thyme.
- You need 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper (optional).
- Get 3 clove of garlic – chopped.
- Use 3 can of (15oz each) dark red kidney beans – two with liquid, one drained, beans mashed.
- You need 3 cup of low sodium/unsalted chicken stock – divided.
- Use 1 cup of uncooked long grain rice.
Instructions to make Pantry Day Red Beans & Rice:
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Heat until it is shimmering but not smoking. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to just under medium and sweat veggies until onion begins to turn translucent but all are still crisp, stirring often. About 5 minutes..
- Turn heat back up to medium. Add sliced andouille sausage to the pan (I used 4 Johnsonville, "New Orleans Brand" andouille sausage links). Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add parsley, thyme, Creole/Cajun seasoning, chopped garlic and cayenne (if using). Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly so garlic doesn't burn..
- Add two cans of dark red kidney beans with liquid and 1 cup chicken stock to pan. Stir to combine. Drain almost all liquid from third can (leave about 2 tsp, helps with mashing), do not rinse beans. Dump beans into a medium bowl and mash with the back of a fork, slotted spoon, or even hand potato masher. Add mashed beans to pan. Stir to combine..
- Increase heat to medium high, bring to a low boil for about 2 minutes, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Sauce should nice and thick after 20 minutes..
- For rice: While waiting for beans to boil begin making your rice. In another sauce pan bring the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock to a boil over medium high heat, add 1 cup long grain rice. Stir gently, cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook in the same 20 minutes that your beans are simmering. Do not remove the lid in this time!.
- After 20 minutes remove rice from heat and fluff with a fork. Turn off heat for beans, taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Place 1/2 cup rice in each bowl (up to 4 servings), top with desired amount of red beans (roughly 1 cup for us) and enjoy! You WILL have leftover red beans. Lol. As a great pairing try my super easy honey butter cornbread! https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/357956-super-easy-honey-butter-cornbread.
If you find this Pantry Day Red Beans & Rice recipe useful please share it to your friends or family, thank you and good luck.