Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe site, If you’re looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the best Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Doesn’t Have To Be A Chore.
Healthy eating is today much more popular than before and rightfully so. Poor diet is a contributing factor in health conditions such as heart disease and high blood pressure which can place a drain on the economy. No matter where you look, people are encouraging you to live a more healthy way of living but then again, you are also being encouraged to rely on convenience foods that can affect your health in a detrimental way. Most people typically believe that healthy diets demand much work and will significantly alter the way they live and eat. It is possible, though, to make several small changes that can start to make a good impact on our everyday eating habits.
The first change to make is to pay more attention to what you buy when you go to the grocery since it is likely that you tend to pick up many of the things without thinking. For example, did you ever think to check how much sugar and salt are in your breakfast cereal? One nutritious option that can give you a great start to your day is oatmeal. Add fruits or spices to enhance the flavor and now you have a breakfast that can be a usual part of your new healthy diet.
Thus, it should be fairly obvious that it’s not difficult to add healthy eating to your daily lifestyle.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to black-eye pea and collard greens soup recipe. To make black-eye pea and collard greens soup you only need 11 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
The ingredients needed to prepare Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup:
- Get 2 cup of dried Black-Eye peas.
- You need 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Get 1 of large yellow onion, chopped.
- Use 2 of garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- Use 1/2 lb of cooked chicken breast or smoked turkey, cut into small cubes (optional).
- Take 2 stalks of celery, chopped.
- Use 6 cup of low-sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 bunch of collard greens, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced.
- Take 4 of carrots, chopped.
- Provide 1 of ground black pepper to taste.
- Prepare 1 of cayenne pepper to taste.
Steps to make Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup:
- Carefully pick through peas to remove any debris or small stones and rinse well. Transfer to large bowl, cover by 3 inches with water, cover and set aside at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight; drain and rise well. I used black-eyed pea from a can. (Optional).
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion garlic, chicken and celery and cook until onion is translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Add peas and broth, bring to a boil and skim off and discard any form on the surface. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until peas are tender, about 45 minutes. Add collard greens and carrots and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes more. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne and serve. Serves 6.
If you find this Black-Eye Pea and Collard Greens Soup recipe helpful please share it to your close friends or family, thank you and good luck.